Happy New Year, Gentle Reader!
I wanted to let you know about a new startup project that launches this month that you may find of interest called Grokcraft.
Grokcraft is a Minecraft server, learning lab, & community where parents, kids & professionals engage in playful collaborative social-emotional learning (SEL.) All our members are vetted & for youth require parent permission to participate. Our counselors are available to mentor youth in SEL. Our youth group, Grok Corps, will be open to those who want to be trained in conflict resolution & online moderation. Our vision is that kids will not avoid conflicts as much as learn to resolve them when they arise. We believe that in free play, children & adults can learn mindfulness, empathy & other social skills in a playful environment. You can read more about this in our Manifesto. With both adult and youth groups approaching with complementary educational needs & abilities in SEL & tech skills, there are constant opportunities for collaboration embedded in (most importantly!) fun.
Grokcraft is an educational rather than therapeutic milieu. Based on the educateur model, professionals are encouraged to refer clients who would benefit from play-based social emotional learning. Some examples of people who might refer:
- A psychotherapist who has a patient needing to improve mindfulness, relational skills or empathy training beyond the clinical hour
- A speech & language therapist who wants to provide a student with more opportunities for social pragmatic skills acquisition
- A special educator who with students who need more opportunities to learn & practice SEL
- A parent or professional who wants a child in their care to have a Minecraft community that is safe & supportive & vets each member personally
At the same time, Grokcraft provides a high-touch learning environment for adult educators & clinicians to learn how to use Minecraft in their work. Monthly seminars for educators, in-game coaching & instruction are available to give professionals a fun way to learn & practice 21st-century game play & add it to their professional repertoire. Some examples of professionals who may benefit:
- A psychotherapist who wants clinical training in online play therapy techniques from experts
- A speech & language therapist who wants a place to provide social pragmatics groups
- A special educator who wants a secure place to have virtual field trips/project-based learning
- A parent who wants parent guidance around digital literacy & SEL
- All of the above who want a peer community where they can exchange ideas & develop community that is not technophobic
We are launching Grokcraft with an introductory subscription of $9.99 a month, & subscribers who join now will be locked in at that rate for as long as they are subscribed. If any of this appeals to you, please check out our new site at http://grokcraft.com & please spread the word to anyone you think might find this resource useful!